MICHAEL's EMAIL

WELCOME TO THE MICHAEL J MORRIS REPORT!!!!

EMAIL mj.morris@live.ca

WRITE ME WITH COMMENTS, STORY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, INFORMATION REQUESTS. IF YOU CAN'T FIND A STORY, DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Reflections on a year with Gus

Tempus fugit! 

The Latin for time flies came into my head as I reflect on life with Gus for the past year.

I had just returned from Orlando FL on February 10, and sent a message to my friend Michael to let him know  I had arrived back in Cranbrook safely.

He replied that was good because now I could go to the SPCA and get a new cat, something we had discussed while I was visiting in Orlando. "It is time," he said.

I replied that I would not be able to go that day as the SPCA was closed, which it was, but I was also a bit hesitant. Other than a month when I had a cat who was really quite ill and died, I had lived catless for over six years since my beloved Buckwheat died. I had him over 20 years.

Anyway, now get this. Within half an hour my friend Joel phoned to see if I was home because he had a cat for me,

His name was Gus, about six months old, and Joel's daughter was no longer able to keep him. After looking at a photo Joel sent, what could I do but say OK. The next morning, February 11, 2015, Joel, Sheila and I went to Kimberley to pick up Gus.

Life with Gus had begun and this morning, one year later I start my day with Gus the "zoomer" lying on the floor beside me. For the moment he is not zooming around the place, but any moment things can change and he will fly from chair to chair.

He also loves to play and his favourite games is to retrieve a ball, placing it right at my feet --- a game I thought was usually played with dogs.

On my latest trip to Florida in December, I brought back two new pairs of shoes. No sooner did I have my bag unpacked and Gus was pulling my Nike shoes around the living room by the laces, having  a great time with his new toy.

It took me some time to adapt to the fact that he was not Buckwheat and has his own personality. I have also called him Buckwheat, on occasion, and even "Guswheat" but have pretty well adapted I think.

One of our biggest challenges was who owned the computer chair. He thought he did and would try and occupy as much space as possible on it, I finally gave up and got another one which so far he leaves pretty much alone, Yes, I lost a round over the chair!

Now he lies on his chair, and honest,  when I am typing a message to Michael,  on occasion he will put his paws on my back and look over my shoulder. So far he has not told me what to type.

He must know though that I am writing about him right now as he is now on his chair beside me.

When he wants my attention, he simply whacks me with his paw which usually means time to play or eat.

Yesterday, to mark the anniversary, Joel came over for a photo shoot, but Gus was not in the best of moods about it. However, Joel, as always, was able to perform his magic with a camera and we got some suitable shots.

And so, living with Gus has become another adventure for me, and I thank my friends Michael and Joel for their roles in bringing him into my life, I believe there is a reason for everything, and it was time for me to have a new furry friend. Thanks guys from Gus and me! We are getting along just super.

Time to play fetch!

Joel: Gus says he will be more co-operative for the next photo shoot,






No comments:

Michael J Morris

Michael J Morris
MJ with Buckwheat (1989-2009) Photo by Leo Ouimet

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL
click on image

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD
Following the American Dream from Chapleau. CLICK ON IMAGE