MICHAEL's EMAIL

WELCOME TO THE MICHAEL J MORRIS REPORT!!!!

EMAIL mj.morris@live.ca

WRITE ME WITH COMMENTS, STORY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, INFORMATION REQUESTS. IF YOU CAN'T FIND A STORY, DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME

Monday, November 30, 2009

Facebook messages totally overwhelming in happiness and sadness

In November 2009 after my birthday and then the death of my beloved cat Buckwheat, I really was totally overwhelmed by the messages I received from friends on Facebook. Today as I mark my 69th birthday a year later, I am at a loss for words -- imagine me at a loss for words -- to express my most sincere thanks for all the best wishes I have received. So, I decided to send out last year's message with this new introduction. Thanks to all of you for being the wonderful people you are. God bless.

FACEBOOK MESSAGES TOTALLY OVERWHELMING IN HAPPINESS AND SADNESS POSTED ORIGINALLY  IN NOVEMBER 2009

Twice in November I have  been totally overwhelmed by messages received from friends on Facebook, the popular social networking site. Since about 1994 when I was researching the first course I taught called Writing for New Media at College of the Rockies, I have been making fearless predictions that the internet was bringing about the biggest societal changes in communication since the days of Gutenberg and his printing press.

I have seen so many examples of those changes in the past 15 years but none affected me as personally as the messages I received on Facebook, where most of my friends are former students from Chapleau High School, with a few old friends joining over the past year.

First, it was my birthday on November 3, and Facebook notifies your friends of the date a few days prior to it. I received a few birthday greetings in the days before and thought that was very nice of people, never expecting the number I would receive on my actual birthday and for the following few days. I never counted the total but it was overwhelming, particularly  when they came mainly from people I have not seen in more than 20 years. Obviously I was deeply touched that so many would take the time from their busy lives to wish me happy birthday.

On November 7, because so many were aware of my beloved cat Buckwheat and his place in my life, sadly I had to post on Facebook that he had died at the age of 20 years and two months exactly. This time the messages came like a flood as friends shared my sadness and told me stories about their pets. Trust me on this one -- those messages helped me through a very difficult time and I shall never forget all of you who wrote me.

I also received email messages from friends on both occasions which I deeply appreciated, and  my friend Danny chatted with me on instant messenger from his home in Miami, Florida and gave me the link to http://www.petloss.com/ where I learned all about the Rainbow Bridge.

And my best friend Mike and I talked on the telephone and IM on both occasions and I am particularly thankful to him for talking with me daily on the day Buckwheat died and in the days following. Thanks Mike.

Fifteen years ago Howard Rheingold, a pioneer in virtual communities, now more popularly called social networking sites, speaking at a conference in Vancouver I attended, said that a tremendous powershift was underway -- and it was about people and their ability to connect with each other in new ways. He was right. Those new ways are here now... Here is link to my post on Rheingold: http://michaeljmorrisreports.blogspot.com/2009/02/on-staying-connected.html

Finally as November ends, thank you for making my story about Buckwheat and my Remembrance Day tribute to my father James E. Morris the most popular on my blog.

Thanks to all of you for being the wonderful people you are. God bless.

No comments:

Michael J Morris

Michael J Morris
MJ with Buckwheat (1989-2009) Photo by Leo Ouimet

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL

UNEEK LUXURY TOURS, ORLANDO FL
click on image

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD

MEMORIES FROM CHILDHOOD
Following the American Dream from Chapleau. CLICK ON IMAGE